Excuse me if this post seems a bit emotional – I’ve just watched the new John Lewis advert. ALL THE TEARS. Don’t watch this at your desk at work, people!
It’s been a strange few weeks since I got back from honeymoon. I wouldn’t say I’ve had post wedding blues – or nothing like as badly as I thought I would – but it’s taken a while to settle back into ‘normal life.’ Besides my new surname, I think the main thing is the gap the wedding left in my life meaning that I am now free to focus on other things – and I want to. I don’t want to just muddle along in life – I really want to reach my goals and make as much happiness for myself as I possibly can. I think because of that feeling, I’ve kind of resisted real life a little bit recently – but at the end of the day, it always drags you back in! At times like this I think it’s even more important to focus on the little things, and so without further ado, here they are!
1. Going to my first ever football match at White Hart Lane on Monday night! My husband is a diehard Villa supporter and I’d literally never even seen a local team play, so it was exciting for me! We lost (which apparently is a running theme lately) but I still thought it was really good fun, loved the atmosphere and would definitely go again!
2. Visiting the True Crime exhibition at the London Museum on Sunday. This exhibit is usually restricted to members of the police force so it was a great opportunity to go now that it’s briefly open to the public. It was really sensitively done, I thought, and very informative. Going to a museum just makes you feel so cultured, doesn’t it? Haha.
3. A Lush bath, with my gorgeous glittery pumpkin from Halloween, and this fantastic bubble bath from Treaclemoon, ‘Warm cinnamon nights,’ which smells, can I just say, EXACTLY how it sounds. Delicious, like bathing in a big, Christmassy apple pie. I’m stocking up on this stuff!
4. Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple – I had this a few years ago, used it all up and never repurchased it. The other day I had a sudden urge to pick it up and it’s been on my lips basically ever since. It’s a really easy, subtle way to wear a red lip and it’s cheering me up a little on these dull as dishwater mornings.
5. My blog hitting 600 followers. Every little milestone really means a lot to me – thank you all so much for following me and not giving up when my blog was broken! I’ve got a competition here to say thanks – go andwin yourself a Yankee candle!
6. Receiving the highlight reel of my wedding video – it is incredible, it made me cry and I have watched it roughly 100 times since I got it!
7. Sacking off plans to go to a fireworks display last night and instead spending it in my pyjamas, eating sausage and mash and watching fireworks over London from the balcony with a glass of wine. Sometimes I just don’t want to stand in the rain, alright?!
8. A good talk with my manager about where my career might be going. Sometimes all you need is a chat to feel so much better about things.
9. Getting excited for Christmas and pinning a tonne of cosy, glittery stuff on my Pinterest board – nope, I’m sorry, but it’s never too soon!
10. A Saturday afternoon at my parents’ house, watching the rugby, eating pumpkin shaped cheesy biscuits and just generally feeling all cosy and happy. #Theresnoplacelikehome.
This week I have been reading this article about the Haysommurders – gruesome but so interesting and says a lot about the American justice and penal system; watching this Mulberry handbag advert over and over, dreaming of when I will have this Christmas moment; and listening to The Vaccines, to get into party mood for my husband’s 30th this weekend!
What have you been up to this week?